Blacklisted Corporations?

Hi!

This is a difficult question to ask… but I think is important. Should there be a worker cooperative black-listing of bad companies? While I realize how to define ‘bad’ can be a difficult task but looking at the Steve Donziger case unfolding in the USA, I cannot help but wonder.

Europe imports natural gas from Russia now matter what the disagreements, Japan imports oil from Saudi Arabia no matter what happens to their citizens’ human rights. So should we be just transactional? Or should there be “recommend not to do business with” list? I don’t have a strong opinion and I wonder what your thoughts are.

Hey Yasu,

I think it makes sense to have a coop trustmark. The coop domain has some verification requirements to ensure a coop is actually a coop, but these requirements aren’t detailed or have any sort of verification that the co-operative is following the international principles.
With digital credential technologies and digital ID networks being introduced this should become more easy to verify more complex compliance requirements to a co-op principle following organization.
However having a no-business list for bad actors (Chevron for example), while I agree with it in principle (and think Chevron is downright evil), there would have to be some sort of co-op committee to assess that, and possibly vote on that from the general membership. It seems like an overly complex endeavor.
IMO it would be better if these bad actors were regulated more strictly by the government, and this would come from a media awareness to these bad actors. I think that more directly relates to corporate media ownership focused on profits rather than the public interest, and a sore need for a mainstream co-operatively owned media.

1 Like

Yes, I thought a media coop would be good (and I subscribe to the currently forming unfiltered.coop :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:) but reading your comment, now realize it is also important to have the voice of the coops at large.

As an anarchist, I also favor people making informed decisions rather than having some ‘authority’ banning this and that.

I think coops exist for a reason and at least being keenly aware of what is happening in the world and to reassure everyone that they care, is important, too :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like