Introduction to Sociocracy

Hi everyone!

I’m David, a worker-owner at CoLab Cooperative. On Friday, the 24th, I’ll be giving a brief introduction on Sociocracy, also known as “Dynamic Governance”. It is a framework for self-governance with consent as one of its main foundational concepts, which fits perfectly with the cooperative experience.

If you are completely new to Sociocracy, or if you have heard about it and want to know more, I hope you can join us!

Please RSVP in this thread with your name and which coop you are coming from.

Thanks so much :slight_smile:

Save the date 24th of September at 14:00 UTC…

Join via Big Blue button link Code: techCoop

2 Likes

yasu
yasu@yasuaki.com
tng.coop (currently a preparatory coop)

I wonder where the term ‘dynamic governance’ comes from?

In terms of consent, it’s one approach. Consensus is another, and is perhaps more optimal in the case of a small organisation?

I think “dynamic governance” is what they call it in the Netherlands. I’m not sure of the origin.

It’s not about the size of the organization, per se, it’s more about the size of a given circle. An organization might be comprised of only a handful of circles, or thousands. But within a circle, consent must be given by all, so the fewer the members of a circle there are, the easier it is to gather consent. With a circle of, say, 30 people, it might be so hard to get consent from everyone that it might be in their best interests to consent to super-majority consensus as sufficient for decision-making.

Emily Alice // Independent Researcher // Mexico
Thank you!

i really liked your presentation @david_colab, i will send it to my coop

I’m so glad you enjoyed it :slight_smile: Thank you for watching!

1 Like